May 26, 2010

Richard Avedon

"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it’s as though I’ve neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up."
Richard Avedon initially earned his reputation in fashion photography in the late 1940s, but became world renowned for reinventing a contemporary genre of portraiture. His ability to capture his subject's entire essence in a single shot is outstanding. Void of distractions such as props or backdrops, Avedon's portraits are intimate and straight to the point. The details lie in the wrinkles, facial features, and gestures of the famous celebrities, artists, poets and so on. This said, his initial interest in fashion is very  present in many of his portraits.
I fully appreciate his use of black and white film and play of light and shadow to expose innermost expressions.

Image from Artnet

No comments:

Post a Comment